Monday, March 2, 2015

Prologue

*Stella's POV*


As soon as the funeral ended, I quickly changed out of my black dress and into regular clothes. I sat on my bed and let myself cry and be sad. This has been the absolute worst week. of my life. I wish I'd stopped my parents from going out or at least had them take a different road, because then they'd still be alive and their funeral wouldn't have been held today.


Natalie, my older sister, walked into my room. I guess she quickly changed afterwards as well.
"Are you okay?" she asked with a concerned look on her face.
I stretched my neck in an attempt to fight back whatever tears I had left. "Yeah, I guess."


She sat with me on my bed. 
"You know, it may not seem like it now, but everything is gonna be okay. I'll always be here for you. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my little sister."
I looked up at her and smiled, "Thanks, Natalie. I'm gonna go get some fresh air."


I went outside and sat on my old swing from mine and Natalie's childhood. It was a slightly cold day in early April, but that didn't really bother me much. As I sat on the swing the memories I made from it came back to me. I remembered the summer days from when I was younger while my father cooked on the grill while my best friend, Laya, Natalie, and I took turns on this swing and my mother gardened. Now, I long for those days more than ever.


I walked over to my parents' graves. "Mom... Dad... I'm gonna do something totally awesome for you guys. I know you wanted to have a lot of kids. That's what I'm gonna do. I know you'll support me, and so will Natalie and Laya. I love you guys so much and I wouldn't trade my memories with you guys for the world. I want to make you guys proud, okay?" The wind began to whistle through the trees, as if they were responding.

-The Next Day-


I sat at the breakfast table with Natalie. It was a pretty silent time eating, until I mentioned what I was gonna to to honor our parents.
"I have a plan," I say.
Natalie looks at me, confused, "What do you mean?"
"Mom and Dad always wanted kids, right."
Natalie pondered for a second, "Oh... Oh yeah. Why?"
"Don't you want to have any kids?"
Natalie shakes her head, "I can't. Well, probably not now, maybe someday. You know I work a lot. I'm just not able to give part of that up yet to settle down."
"Well, I want to have kids. A lot of them. One hundred. I want to begin once I turn 18 in a few months."


Natalie looks at me, surprised, "Wow... that's a big commitment... are you sure you really want to do this?"
I nodded, "Yeah. People have done it before, and if they can, so can I."
Natalie puts her hands in her lap, "Well I'm not going to stop you. I'll support you. You can live here with me as long as you need, okay?"
I smiled, "Okay. Thanks, sis." I then got up from the table to put on my school uniform and go to school.

------



The dismissal bell had rung, and I raced down the hallway to meet up with Laya behind the school, like we always did after school. A lot of the rebel and slutty students hung out there, but then there was just Laya and I.
"Hey bitch!" she yells, "It's been fucking forever!"
I laugh, "Laya, oh my god, it's only been three hours since we saw each other at lunch."
We start walking with each other home. "So.. anything new?" she asks.



"Yeah, I guess." I stated with uncertainty. 
"What?"
"Well, once we graduate and I turn 18, I'm gonna do something big."
"What are you talking about?"
"My parents always wanted a lot of children. So I'm gonna do that for them. I'll have one hundred, to be exact."
"So you're doing the 100 Baby Challenge?"
I nodded, "Yep."
"You know..." she began "Not a lot of people finish it. Are you sure?"
"As sure as I'll ever be."



Laya stops, "Okay. I fully support you on this, Stella. It's a great idea. And I'm always gonna be here for you. Because that's what friends do."
"Thank you," I quietly say "And I'm always gonna be here for you, too. Because that's what friends do."

~~

 "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."
~Helen Keller

0 comments:

Post a Comment